Happy Sunday, all!
We accomplished a little bit in the Master Bedroom Makeover this weekend…a little more baseboard went up, curtain rods, and I finally made some curtains that I envisioned back in NOVEMBER. Yes, I bought all the materials three months ago, with big dreams and high hopes, then life happened. I’ve been crossing every finger and toe since, in hopes that it all works out, and guess what? They actually panned out just as I imagined! Don’t you just love it when that happens?!
We went from this:
(Please pardon the baseboard situation – this is the side of the room that hasn’t been done yet, hence the sloppy paint line and itty bitty baseboard;)
And I didn’t even spend twenty bucks! I mean, well, I did have the curtain rod already. But the sheets – I mean – CURTAINS – including everything only set me back about $16.
I picked up a queen white flat sheet from Walmart. (I also bought two king ones and did this on the plank wall, but I’m not posting any pics of that because I want to save something for the reveal! 😉 ) The sheet was $11 or something. Not bad.
I also picked up some of this amazeballs Fabric Fuse. This is MY NEW FAVORITE THING!!! I mean, these companies really help a non-sewing sister out, and I am beyond appreciative.
(I realized AFTER the tape was all gone that I didn’t take a picture, so yes, this is an empty container in case you’re confused;)
I also grabbed some white grosgrain ribbon.
And here’s how it all went down.
First, I laid my sheet across my bed, the underside facing me. I cut some ribbon pieces – probably 2-3 inches(ish). I laid them out a few inches apart from each other. Seriously, I did ZIPPY measuring, because you know that’s how I roll, but you can do as many or as little as you want – all just depends on how many loops you want.
Then, I cut a couple little pieces of the Fabric Fuse stuff – one for the top of the ribbon, one for the bottom. This stuff is basically tape. It’s washable, it’s awesome, it REQUIRES ZERO SEWING OR IRONING. I mean, what more can you ask for?!
You stick it on where you want it, then peel the top layer off, leaving a sticky film.
It’s hard to see, so I made little arrows so you can see where the sticky stuff is.
Then you just stick the ribbon on there. Instant loop!
After I put it up, I realized two queen sheets would be overkill on this one window. I took it down, cut it right down the middle, and used this fuse stuff to create a “hem” along each side. Worked like a charm, and I only had to use ONE queen sheet for the whole window!
Here’s why I went with queen size instead of twin: the queens are much longer length, and I wanted a big ol’ puddle effect. Gives it a little more drama, and one of my “things” are too-short curtains. They’re like nails down a chalkboard to me.
Another way to go high drama is to raise the rod to the very top of your wall. This makes SUCH a difference! After I hung the curtains yesterday, my husband said the room felt so much bigger. They really do give that effect. I have no idea why I haven’t been doing this all along. Oh wait, yes I do – because curtains are made that way! To get these extra long guys, you gotta get creative and think outside the box…like bedsheets;)
I am kinda obsessed with these guys. They’re giving me the light, airy feel I so wanted, with high drama, thanks to the length and puddle action…PLUS they were extreeeeemely budget friendly. Win!
I’m thinking I’ll probably be adding thick ribbon to make them even more custom and fun, just haven’t decided what color…I’ll keep you posted!
Have a great week, everyone! XO